A Prayer Blog Inspired By Our Everyday Reading Of The Bible.



Monday, July 31, 2017

1 Peter 1:1 - Citizens of Heaven



Exposition

Peter writes to people who are living as foreigners in a land that is not theirs. To get a better understanding, let us see what other translations of the original manuscript (Greek) call them. They are referred to as exiles, temporary residents, refugees, sojourners, those away from their homes, pilgrims, those who have settled down alongside a pagan population and those temporarily residing abroad.

Peter is letting us know that today, no matter your earthly citizenship, you are to regard it as a temporary one. 2 Corinthians 5:1 says our future and hope is in a city not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. We are not to get too familiar with the way the world operates. There is daily corruption prevalent here. We are strangers to the views, thoughts, desires, affections, judgment, and speech of the world. Always remember that according to John 15:19 - If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
Peter also calls them Chosen people. Other translations use the word “Elect”. To get a better understanding let us see what John said in Chapter 6:67 - All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
You have been elected or chosen by God. You have a part to play to make the election come to pass. Everyone who accepts Christ has been chosen. No one who accepts Christ can be rejected. Simply put, whoever comes to Christ is the elect of God, what an awesome God. Colossians 3:12  says to put on, therefore as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 
Keep reminding yourself that you are residing as an alien in this world and do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Prayer

Thank you, my Father, for choosing me. Thank you that by your grace I responded to my election. I pray that by your grace I will not fall out of my election.  Help me, Father, to see my relationship with the world I live in. Help me to be part of those who will impact the world rather than been impacted by the world in Jesus name. Amen

Bible Reading Plan in 26 weeks (Be part of the Bible Reading Program)
Day 23

Genesis 26-27
Joshua 23
Job 23
Proverbs 23
Jeremiah 23
Matthew 23

Revelation 11


No comments:

Post a Comment