A Prayer Blog Inspired By Our Everyday Reading Of The Bible.



Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Philippians 4: 5 - Gentleness



Photo credit: www.my242church.com

Exposition

Let your gentleness – Other translations of ‘gentleness’ are moderation, graciousness, humility, considerate, forbearing spirit and fairness. All these behaviour traits expected of a child of God are quite contrary to what happens anywhere in the world. Greed and lust for power reigns supreme and the biblical injunction for gentleness is nowhere to be seen. ‘I must protect my rights’ is the driving force.
Be reminded that gentleness is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit that should be evident in your life. You are expected to bear with people and be patient as many times as possible, treating people with kindness and respect no matter their station in life.

be obvious to everyone – Jesus said in Matthew 5:16 that you should let your life light before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father who is in heaven. Your gentleness is not for your loved ones alone. ‘Everyone’ means all who are in your sphere of influence, whether you know them or not. It includes unbelievers, the poor and the rich, the weak and the strong.
 ‘Gentleness’ is not a hat to put on Sunday mornings alone, it is meant to be who you are.

The Lord is near – This is a reminder that our God is everywhere (omnipresent). You do not have a need to avenge yourself . He is near you as He is your ever present help in times of trouble. That harsh word or action is telling God, you’ve got this covered, He doesn’t need to intervene.

No matter the hand that is being dealt to you to test your resolve you can decide you will start being gentle with the help of the Holy Spirit. Afterall Jesus Christ while here on earth was gentle and you want to be like Him.

Prayer
Many people and many situations try my patience. I ask for your help to start reacting with gentleness at all times.
Let the words that I speak come forth with gentleness. Let the rough edges in my character be smoothened by you O Lord.
Help me overcome the desire to react on the basis of past experiences. Rather let me react according to what the Holy Spirit tells me.
Help me to remember that You are nearby and you will also fight my battles in Jesus name I pray. Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment