A Prayer Blog Inspired By Our Everyday Reading Of The Bible.



Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Mark 14:38 - Watch and Pray


Photo credit: www.slideshare.net

Exposition
These were the words of Christ spoken while in the garden of Gethsemane. A reading of the earlier verses will put the verse into proper perspective for you.

Keep watching and praying – This is Jesus encouraging you to keep watching and praying. The encouragement is borne out of His love for you. Remember He has seen the end from the beginning. Jesus is our example, who when faced with the reality of His impending death, prayed. It is beneficial to you to be watchful so you’ll learn how the enemy works. Temptation does not come carrying a giant placard saying – saying I am temptation. It mostly creeps in appealing to your base instincts and before you know it, you are overcome. The enemy comes in the big things and the little things too. That is why you must be watchful.
The devil wants to bring you down. John says he goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom to devour. Your determination today, is you or your children will not be mincemeat for the devil. It is your responsibility for have a discerning spirit and to use it. Spending time in prayer brings one closer to the Maker and it sharpens you, ready for battle.
Importantly you must learn about yourself. Which areas am I weak? What do I seem to be struggling with? This is so that you can see the enemy coming a mile away and you run. After all the bible enjoins that you should abstain from every form of evil.

that you may not come into temptation – Prayer will help you in times of temptation or sin. The bible says it is only the arrogant who will think he can’t fall into temptation.
There is danger in you missing out on the opportunities that Jesus is bringing your way.
There is danger in you going back to your old ways before who accepted Christ as your saviour from the life of sin and death.
There is danger in falling to false pastors who are agents of the devil.
There is danger of being sucked into the cares that are worldy and of no benefit to your eternity.

the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak – The weak flesh is programmed to succumb to temptation. Continue to feed your spirit and deny the flesh. Fasting helps to subdue the flesh.
There is victory for you.

Prayer
I ask for help in resisting temptation. I do not have any power of my own, help me father.
When I am in your presence, the enemy can’t get to me. Help me father to dwell perpetually in your presence.
Help me father to be watchful at all times.
There is a saying that the devil finds work for idle hands. Help me to be focused on the work you have placed in my hands.
Teach me how to pray. Help me father to be able to tarry in the place of prayer. Thank you father for loving and caring for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment