A Prayer Blog Inspired By Our Everyday Reading Of The Bible.



Friday, October 14, 2016

Exodus 18:17-18 - Rest is Good




Photo credit: www.bible-history.com

Exposition

Moses’ father-in-law said to him, What you are doing is not good. You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone – In earlier verses we read that Moses’ father-in-law observed Moses while he carried out his administrative and judicial duties all day long. The people who brought issues for resolution probably had to wait several days before Moses was able to attend to them. Moses judged each case in line with the law of God and He made that known to the litigants.

Even though Moses was doing a good thing for the people, his method was wrong because he was doing it alone. He was being warned that if he continued with this daily schedule, he and all the people risked exhaustion and burnout. Moses was advised that delegation of duties was the way to go.

In our world today, we operate with the mind-set that there are not enough hours in a day for all that we need to accomplish. Some go about as if all the burdens in the world are on their shoulders because there are no competent hands to share responsibilities with. For some of us, it is a tendency to hug all the work in the rat race to the top and for others, trust worthiness of the people around us is the problem. We should note that whether we are there or not, there will always be work to be done.

These verses show that rest and relaxation are necessary in the life of every man. Switching off from work brings refreshment both to the mind and body. There is an abundance of ways to relax. Please take the option that suits you best.

God Almighty, the creator of heaven and earth completed the task in the beginning and at the end of it all, set aside a day to rest from it all – the Sabbath. For starters, let the Sabbath day become a Sabbath indeed. Take it as a day to be refuelled by the Holy Spirit. Follow God’s example and rest.

Prayer

I thank you Father because I am alive and I am able to go about my work. I am healthy and I am well. Blessed be your Holy name. I thank you because I have a job or business to attend to. I pray for those who do not have jobs or those who have businesses which are not thriving. Open the door of favour to them today in Jesus name.
Help me as I take time out to start resting. Help me to take my mind off work as I focus on you alone. Let my Sabbath become a Sabbath indeed in Jesus name. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment