A Prayer Blog Inspired By Our Everyday Reading Of The Bible.



Saturday, August 5, 2017

1 Peter 1:15-16 - Be Holy


Photo credit: www.slideshare.net

Exposition

In verse 13, Peter said we would be sober at all times and we should hope fully in the grace of God. Our text today also says we should be holy just like the holiness of God. The standard of holiness is God’s holiness. There is a way we have always lived, however, a change of direction is required.

You might ask is that possible? I am but a mortal man. In this present day, can a man be fully holy? Everyone cuts corners, it is expected, I would look like a fool if I do not follow the Joneses. Every man has to make a choice. Do I want to live the way the world lives and bear the consequences or do I live as God wants me to live and receive the blessings of obedience?

What is holiness? It is not only the absence of wrong or evil, it is also the presence of doing right. How do you transition to living a holy life? Keeping it simple, ask God to help you. There is a call from God as stated in verse 15. You will make it easy for yourself by linking this call to verse 3 of this same chapter. God made salvation available to you. Verse 14 states that because you are saved, you are now his child, an obedient child, a part of His family. You used to be ignorant but you have now received knowledge that wipes away ignorance. You are now ready to obey verse 15 which says you should be holy in your conduct.

In your own strength, it is impossible to be holy. Do understand that whatever God commands you to do, He has given you the enablement. In this instance, you have the Holy Spirit. Humble yourself and present yourself daily forgetting you have no power of your own.

Prayer

Today I ask that you help me to stop accommodating sin. Help me to stop the daily excuses. Help me, merciful Father, to draw near to you. Help me to identify myself as your child at all times. I carry the DNA of my Father and I will live as such in Jesus name. Let my desire for holiness come out of love for you. Amen.

Bible Reading Plan in 26 weeks (Be part of the Bible Reading Program)
Day 28

Genesis 35-36
Judges 4
Job 28
Proverbs 28
Jeremiah 28
Matthew 28

Revelation 16


No comments:

Post a Comment